“WHY HAVE I BEEN CREATED AS A MAN/WOMAN? WHAT IS MY BODY TELLING ABOUT GOD?”
Would you like to study St. John Paul II’s Theology of the Body with us?
We want to help you understand the teaching of St. John Paul II, guide you so that you come to see the important points, and enable you to communicate this teaching to others!
In this course, you will be able to reflect on and consider the human body and sexuality as something good, willed, and created by God. We will explore the origin, meaning, and goal of our lives, the meaning of our body as a sacrament, and its purpose in the life to come. We will discover the beauty, purity, and dignity of marriage and its fruitfulness.
Our aim is not to teach you mere norms, but with the help of St. John Paul II and using a few key verses from the Holy Scriptures we want to explain to you the deep reasons why it is good for man to live chastely before and in a marriage or in any other state of life.
The Karol Wojtyła School of Mission in cooperation with Faculty of Theology CU and graduates of the International Theological Institute in Trumau, Austria have prepared for you an online course on St. John Paul II’s Theology of the Body in English. Through the seminar method, you will have the chance to study and discuss the theme of the Theology of the Body in a small group with help of one of our lecturers.
We welcome you from all over the world!
There will be two groups:
Thursdays 2 PM CET (starting on Thursday, 8 April 2021, ending 17 June 2021)
Thursdays 6:30 PM CET (starting on Thursday, 8 April 2021, ending 17 June 2021)
- The course consists of 11 classes.
- Our classes will take place weekly in a small group enjoying the seminar method.
- The participants will prepare for each week by studying a few selected catechesis out of John Paul II’s Theology of the Body with the help of a study guide from Mary Healy’s book Men and women are from Eden. The participants will receive worksheets to help them focus on the important points in their study.
- Each class will cover one topic and specific discussion questions. Together we will be seeking answers to fundamental questions present in the human heart as captured by John Paul II.
GOALS OF THE COURSE:
- Helping people find answers to their deep questions: What is the meaning of my life? What is the meaning and beauty of the human body and sexuality? Is it possible to live chastely nowadays?
- Studying the Theology of the Body together, helping each other understand difficult passages, and finding concrete ways of applying the writings of John Paul II to our lives.
- Developing presentation skills, the ability to work with a text and to think critically, the ability to communicate, present arguments, and discuss, the ability to grapple with current questions and find connections between them.
“It is not good for a man to be alone“. (Gn 2:18) Even with the current meeting restrictions in many countries we still want to build a communio with you, through studying, discussing, sharing, and common prayer. Our aim is to help each other understand John Paul II’s message of hope about God’s plan for human love and sexuality.
Course lecturers are graduates of The Master of Studies on Marriage and the Family at the ITI Catholic University, Trumau, Austria.
- Introductory Class
- Back to the Beginning
- Original Humanity
- Fallen Humanity
- Redeemed Humanity
- Glorified Humanity – Resurrection of the Body
- Glorified Humanity – Christian Virginity
- Marriage: The Primordial Sacrament
- Living the Mystery
- Love is Fruitful; Building a Culture of Life
- Final Class
WHEN AND WHERE?
From April 2021 until June 2021.
The course consists of 11 weekly classes.
The capacity is 10 people per group.
Our classes will take place online, using Zoom.
- €80 per person
- €140 for a married couple/an engaged couple
The fee covers the setting up of the course, the lecturers, and licenses.
The course fee can be paid in installments. If you cannot afford the cost of the course, please contact us.
It is necessary for each participant to buy the following books as study materials:
- Men and Women are from Eden by Mary Healy
- Man and Woman He Created Them, a translation of John Paul II’s Theology of the Body by Michael Waldstein.
How to register?
The registration for the course is closed. If you are interested in our course, please let us know by filling out the form „WRITE TO US“.
Capacity is limited, so we ask you to write and send us a few words about your motivation for taking this course.
We are looking forward to meeting you!
Karol Wojtyla School of Mission/Misijná škola Karola Wojtylu (MŠKW)
In our course we will be using a study guide to the Theology of the Body by Mary Healy called Men and Women are from Eden (published by Servant Books, St. Anthony Messenger Press in 2005). Each chapter in this guide presents a part of St. John Paul II’s teaching in a form that can be easily understood and applied to real life.
We will also use the book titled Man and Woman He Created Them, a translation of John Paul II’s Theology of the Body by Michael Waldstein (published by Pauline Books & Media in 2006). In case you cannot afford to buy this book, the particular catechesis of John Paul II contained in the book are also available on the Vatican website as general audiences of Pope John Paul II (though without footnotes and the introduction).
FEEDBACK from our students
How has a TOB course enriched my personal life?
It has shown me a view on marriage and sexuality as a something good and glorifying God. Many answers to the questions I’ve been asking myself. It has also helped me in preparation for marriage because we have taken the course together with my boyfriend.
Development of my personality, so that I am able to be a gift for others and bear good fruit in this way.
A different view on things, on contraception, on emotional chastity.
New and more comprehensible view on man, his identity, self-giving to another, human sexuality in marriage, the plan of God with me.
Orientation – the ability to discern what is and what is not in accordance with the spousal love.
It has improved my relationship with my girlfriend in the area of chastity. We are able to communicate better.
What has touched me the most?
I have been touched the most by the Love of God, that He considers each one of us exceptional.
What an amazing and perfect plan God has with man and woman.
John Paul II and his love for people.
That body is a sacrament.